Thursday, October 31, 2013

How To Tame A Wild Tongue

Culture and language are one of the biggest factors, if not the biggest, that make up a person. It shapes us to be who we are and think the way we do. Overall, I enjoyed reading Anzaldua's, How To Tame A Wild Tongue. Anzaldua is critcized for speaking Chicano, but she is the person she is because of her language. It is her identity. Language is how we express ourselves, not everything can be translated because the meaning of words that are so powerful in one language can be empty in another language. Words are lost in translation. For example, I feel like English is best when I want to get technical, but when I want to describe my feelings I prefer to speak in Arabic. Anzaldua also points out that our identities change depending on who were talking to which is very true. Our identity can be what our ethnicity is, what language we speak, or what city we live in. Growing up Anzaldua was ashamed of who she is, but she learns to be proud and loyal to her language.

No comments:

Post a Comment